Being on the road for Sportvision has reminded me of how many friends I have spread out across the U.S. While doing Nascar and Football gigs, I've been fortunate enough to see some of my friends on the road - albeit briefly. Here's a short run down of recent ones.

Photo above is Donn with Sam and Alex.
Donn and Nora Denman in Mountain View CA. I've known Donn since about 1998 when I stayed at his house in Las Gatos. He was a hang glider pilot at the time. A nicer - more even keeled person you'll not find. Donn was instrumental in development of the Mac computer at Apple back in the 1980's. I do wish I could spend more time with Donn. He has a lovely wife Nora and 2 boys (Sam and Alex). Being around Donn makes me feel important. He has that way about him. I know what a smart guy he is and he always is interested in my opinion. A wonderful friend.
Bill and Michelle are close friends of Jan and mine. I was able to visit with them on the Outer Banks last season while doing a football game at East Carolina. Bill is a boat captain, entrepenuer and all around super great guy who I feel fortunate to hang out with. Michelle is a positive bundle of human tissue. Her outlook on life is really refreshing. We are blessed to have friends like these. They have houses on the Outer Banks, Key West and now Ouray, Colorado where they have just moved to begin a new chapter in their lives. I really wish we could spend more time with these 2. I don't see us moving to Colorado, so we're going to have to settle for cross country trips. Bill is planning on sailing to the Bahamas with me this winter.

Above is a photo of a group of us after flying Makapuu Point on Oahu in 1992. From far right is Jerry, Toni, Jan and I.
Jerry and Toni Forburger are great friends from Lubbock Texas. I was working a Texas Tech game in Lubbock a few weeks back and got to see these awesome folks. Jerry's history is one of an innovator in the field of hang gliding. He invented/perfected the 'platform launch' payout winch system which allows us to launch from the back of a moving truck/car/trailer/boat and tow up to altitude. Numerous world records were set using this launch method.
I first met Jerry and Tony back in the 80's (but we couldn't pinpoint where). I would run into them at various hang gliding events and gatherings all around the country. In the early 90's, Jerry's expertise was requested in a new 'startup' flightpark in Hawaii, so the couple moved there and was nice enough to invite Jan and I over for a visit. It was our first trip to Hawaii. The photo below is from that trip in 1992. Jerry is a true Texan and his success in hang gliding as well as life is (much like mine) largely attributable to his wife.
On my recent trip to Lubbock, I was able to see their ranch - a cool spot called the 'loose wire ranch' . We had a barbeque outside with a bonfire and a great fireworks show. I wish I could spend more time with these fine folks.
David Glover and Jayne Depanfilis are 2 hang gliding buddies from way back. Dave taught hang gliding at Kitty Hawk Kites in the early 90's when I was there and Jayne was a major manager there at the time as well. Dave became one of my best friends over the years and I really enjoy spending time with him. He's quite the idea man and a connoisseur of condiments. Dave has followed in my footsteps in a lot of the things I've done professionally in hang gliding and he's done quite well for himself. He just finished remodeling is first house in Oklahoma City and I was able to visit with he and Jayne a couple of weeks back when I was there for a football game. I wish I could spend more time with these guys as well.
Steve Pauls, as well as his business partner Ben Sproul are my best friends on the Outer Banks. Steve and Ben own and run the Pit Surf Shop. When I was recently in Richmond, VA for a Nascar Race, I invited Steve up to hang with me. Steve drove 3 hours up to Richmond to see the race and visit. I've not had anyone I know including family to put in that much of a drive to visit with me (although my longtime buddy Doug did drive 2 hours to visit me during a game in Salem Va last year) . It meant a lot to me. Steve is a very important friend who I wish I was able to spend more time with as well.
It's nice to catch up with friends and I hope to continue to be able to spend more time in one way or another with them in the future.



1 comment:
just got back from a road trip and catching up on friends. Nice Hawaii photo. Ciao ~ OB
Post a Comment