Sunday, March 07, 2010

Star-Studded Day at the Track in Atlanta


Me and Scott Speed

In this job, I get the opportunity to meet a few 'famous' (or maybe recognizable) people pretty often. Many times, it's a surprise and the opportunity just jumps up in front of you and you have to take it. This was the case today at the Atlanta track.

I left our truck to go out to the catering tent to get some coffee and passed an area in our TV compound where they were shooting a small bit for the race show called 'Racing Chef'. The 'guest' on the show was my favorite driver - Scott Speed. Scott is my favorite driver because of his attitude. He's more like a hang glider pilot, snowboarder kinda guy than a race car driver. He doesn't win races (yet) but he's doing better all the time.

Anyway, I stopped to watch the taping and when it was done, I went over and introduced myself and shook his hand. I always do this in a nice and respectful way and so far, none of the many celebs that I've done this with have been put off.


The new International Truck that Cowboy likes.

Later, Cowboy (our truck driver) and I went down to the pits to take care of some business and to look for this new truck that International has come out with - that looks retro. As we were passing the media center, we saw a girl go in there that looked like she had an olympic medal around her neck. I went in to see if indeed she was an olympian and instead found 4 olympians. Honestly, I don't know who most of them were, but I instantly recognized Steven Holcomb -the driver of the men's 4 man bobsled who took gold just last week in the Olympics. He has an incredible story and I made sure to take the time to meet him, and tell him thanks for making us all proud.

The olympians. Steven Holcomb is on the right.

Shortly afterward, a B-52 bomber strafed the infield - for no apparent reason. It was loud, low and really cool. I happened to have a camera in my hand and was able to get a photo of it as it passed by. A fun day at work!

No comments: