Friday, February 02, 2007

Tornados in FL



As you probably heard on the news - tornados ripped through central Florida early friday morning. The 2 most affected counties were Lake Co (the county that Quest Air Flight Park is in) and Volusia Co - the county where we live.

Jan woke me up at 4 am and I heard it thundering outside. She's not a thunderstorm lover to any degree. I'm sure she wasn't able to sleep at all while it was thundering, but I went right back to sleep.

This morning the news was full of tornado incidents. It turns out that one touchdown was just 2 and 1/2 miles from our house in New Smyrna Beach. The photo at the top shows some of the damage from this twister. I took the photo at the top from a local news website

The photo below shows the relationship of where this one touched down to where we live. I'm kinda glad I slept through it.


The following photo is one I took as I drove to New Smyrna Beach this afternoon after work. Most of the area was blocked off due to damage, but this was along US 1 (a major road).



_________________________________

Regarding work, we continued setting up the truck and testing other items today. We set up a camera system and powered it as if it were out in the infield to make sure we were getting sufficient power to our data boxes and to make sure that our data signals were getting back to the truck.

ESPN brought in their brand new mobile broadcast studio. This thing is amazing. It's a broadcast booth that will be driven out into the infield and it has a scissors lift that will raise it up about 15 feet. The announcers will then have a mostly unrestricted view. I think maybe they just buy these things because they can.


The photo below is of the inside of the A unit.

2 comments:

Jamie Shelden said...

When do I get to come see if I can track down Juan Pablo? ;-)

OB said...

Wow. Glad the tornado missed you guys. And that's a lot of hi-tech computer shit! A-LOT.
Cheers,
OB