Thursday, May 24, 2007

Finally, a blog entry

I think this may be the longest I've gone without a blog post in quite a while. I think I'm starting to feel like there's nothing new to report.

Last weekend, Jan and I went back to the Outer Banks for the 35th annual Hang Gliding Spectacular. It was great to go back home and see all our buds. We got to go to most of our favorite restaurants - we had lunch at the Pit, we had a Bajan Burger at Torguga's and Jan had lunch at Dirty Dicks' Crabhouse.


I drove up on wednesday and met Bill and Michelle at the Black Pelican for dinner and then drove to north Duck to stay at their house. Seems like we're always sleeping at their place somewhere. We stay at their house in Key West a couple of times a year and in Duck at least once a year. They will be moving to Ouray Colorado this fall, so I guess we'll be heading out there to sleep at some point. They are wonderful people and we feel lucky to get to spend time with them.

The Spectacular was great. It was an "instructor reunion" year where there was a big push to get lots of the old time instructors there. People came from all over the U.S. and Christy came all the way from Holland (I think it was Holland - but the Netherlands -non the less).

While on the OBX, I got a new surfboard from Steve that I'd been planning on getting since last summer. It's an epoxy high performance long board. It has an epoxy shell instead of fiberglass, so it's stronger and lighter. I'm looking forward to trying it out - although I'll only be home 1 full day between now and June 19th.

When we got back, I worked a couple of days on the boat. I removed the forsail from the roller furling system (man is it big) and I'll take it to St. Augustine next week to a sailmaker to do some small repairs on it and possibly cut it down some. The sail is just too big - mostly along the foot (bottom). I'd like it cut 'higher' so that when it's fully unfurled, I can see under it.

I also did some cleaning on the boat - specifically the stainless steel on the deck. The stancions and other stainless was starting to get some surface rust, so I put some elbow grease into getting rid of it.

I'm currently in Charlotte at the race track. I may not have to work a full day tomorrow - if at all. There's no cars on the track, so if I have the afternoon off, I'll head up to Winston-Salem to see mom and dad.

No comments: