Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Shuttle Launch


Finally, I have something to post about.  I've worked a race since the last post, but I think it's pretty boring stuff to blog about since I've blogged plenty about the race gig already.

Jan is in Nashville training for her new job that she started about a month ago.  I  went to the boat today and  started preparing it for the hurricane season.  I'm going to be working a lot over the next 6 weeks and it's likely that a storm of some sort will affect the area, so I wanted to get the boat ready.   I removed almost all of the canvas (bimini, dodger etc) and doubled up on the dock lines.  Tomorrow I'll go back and wrap the mainsail (with the cover over it) with line so that it can't catch air.

The space shuttle was scheduled for launch at 6:36pm and so late in the afternoon, I decided to head south to Titusville and watch the shuttle launch from only about 5 miles away.   I was most interested in hearing and feeling the shuttle.

The shuttle launched on time and after about a minute, you could begin to hear it.  It sounded like a jet plane at first, then it started to make the low 'rattle' sound and you could feel the rumble.  It  was really cool.





No comments: