Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The past week



Wednesday morning, Jan and I drove up to Winston-Salem because my grandmother was on her death bed. She was not expected to live past the previous Sunday or Monday actually and we figured we'd get the call that she'd passed on as we drove northward. We arrived at the hospital and the old gal was still hanging in there. She was moved to Hospice on Thursday morning and passed away at 6:13pm on Thursday evening with her family at her bedside (and me just outside the doorway - but that's a whole 'nuther story). Nellie Cockerham (or Meme -as well all knew her) was 92 years old and lived a very good life and will be missed by everyone who knew her.

On Sunday, I drove to the Outer Banks to give a speech inducting John Harris in the Rogallo Hall of Fame and after spending monday on the Outer Banks hanging with my good buddy Steve and catching up with other folks, I drove home yesterday.

Today, I'm trying to recover from a pulled deltoid muscle. I woke up on last Saturday morning with what I thought was a 'crick' in my neck and it got worse as the day went on until now it hurts to try and sleep. I think it's getting better slowly.

I turned 100,000 miles on the Element today. It's the most miles I've ever put on one car (I bought it new in 2003). I usually don't keep cars this long - but I still really like the Element and would buy another one tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GW - Sorry to hear about your g-ma. Even though we've been distant in terms of contact, know that I check in on you via the blog often. The 100k on the element is my type of photo. I love to document "milestones" in the life of my vehicles.
Cheers - OB