Friday, September 11, 2009

Bike Time


Approximately a year ago, I bought Jan and myself some Trek hybrid bicycles. The hybrid bike has the frame of a mountain bike with suspension, but the tires and components of a road bike. The seating is 'upright' much like a mountain bike. Mom bought me some Aero Bars for Christmas and they allow for a more aerodynamic posture when riding into the wind.

I've really enjoyed riding over the last year and today I checked my odometer to see that I've put 644 miles on it in one year. So, I got to thinking that I was disappointed in the miles - I'd hoped for much more. Then I got to thinking about how much I haven't been home in the last year. I pulled out my travel calendar and realized that when you add together the Nascar and Football work weeks, the sailing trips, a vacation out west, 2 trips back to the Outer Banks and more, I've only been home for 20 weeks out of the last year. Wow!

So, that's much better - 32 miles a week - still not anything to brag about, but something to expand on. My longest ride has been a little less than 60 miles. I've done a few 30 milers and quite a few 20-25 milers. Lately, I've been riding some 15-20 milers.

I'd wanted, by now, to have ridden the bike the entire length of Florida (from N - S along the east coast) from Fernandina Beach to Key West -which is about 600 miles on surface streets.. I need to get started on that. Even if I just ride a 50 mile length at time, it gives me a goal. I'm big on goals.

2 comments:

Stardust said...

If you go on a bike safari, you can always cash with us here at Satellite Beach! Kathy Lee

BarbaraW said...

My lovely Trek bike, on the other hand, has been sitting in one place for the last two years.