Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hangin' with the Lees

My friends - Jim, Kathy and Rachel Lee - whom you may remember reading about in my blog over the last year and a half, are on their way south again on their sailboat.  They've spent the last 2 days anchored in St. Augustine and are waiting on the cold front to pass so they can head down the coast toward Melbourne.When I found out they were in St. Augustine,  I looked for and excuse to make the hour drive north to go see them.  With good excuse in hand, I headed up there on saturday and  met them at the dingy dock at the marina.   We went shopping at the Sailor's Exchange and Target and then headed over to the Conch House for lunch.  Also, we were joined by Jay and Barbara from  'Jupiter's Smile' - an Island Packet that has been traveling in the same general route of 'Stardust' (off and on) since last winter.
After lunch as we were headed back to the dingy dock, I mentioned that my uncle Jerry's boat 'Poppie' was moored out in the anchorage and that I don't think he'd been on it for a year or more.  Jim offered to take me out to find it and after a little jockeying, the ladies took one dingy back to 'Stardust' and 'Jupiter's Smile' on the north side of the bridge of lions and Jay took Jim and I toward the south anchorage to look for Jerry's boat.
In short order, we found it just fine and it looked very much the way it looked a year and a half ago when I met Jerry there while he was down from Hickory NC.   
Jerry has not been able to spend time on the boat for a while and so it needs a bit of TLC to be back in spiffy shape.
Here's a photo of Jim and I on 'Poppie' as well as 2 more shots taken as we were leaving.




Below is a photo of Jerry and I back in March of 2006 on the dingy dock in St Augustine when I met him while he was on a trip down to check  on his boat.

No comments: