Sunday, June 24, 2007

Catching up - again

I'm a bit behind on my blogging, so I'll catch up on what's been happening since my last post a week ago or so.

I headed home on monday - leaving Detroit around 8 am and getting into Daytona Beach around noon. With a connection in Atlanta - that's about as efficient as flying commercially can get. I had a 30 minute layover in ATL - which is almost too short for normal changing of planes in Atlanta, but it just so happened that the connecting flight was in the same concourse as the arriving flight, so when I got to the gate - they were boarding. Peachy.

In the Detroit Airport, I took this photo below of the water fountain in front of a parked 747. I thought it was more artistic than it turned out to be, but I was quite tired and not feeling well, so my judgement may have been off:


The underground tunnels that connect the concourses in Detroit are pretty weird. They have a colorful lightshow that's always changing with very 'futuristic' music playing. A photo doesn't do it justice, but here's one anyway.


Back at home, I'm getting into the groove of not working for a few weeks. I've actually been slightly sick with a cough and various other flu-like symptoms since I got home, so I haven't been doing much. My engine mechanic was supposed to have an oil leak on my boat fixed when I got back home (a leak that he has been working on since late January). I was very unhappy when I got back and realized he hadn't even touched it yet. I was hoping to take the boat out, but now it looks like it will be late this week before he is finished.

Instead, Jan and I have decided to take a trip up north (of here). We're going to head to Columbia SC to visit my ailing brother-in-law, then to Winston-Salem to see family and for Jan to visit her ailing Aunt - then we're going to head over to the Outer Banks for few days of vacation-like hanging with our friends.

We closed on the California City spec house on Monday. It was nice to get that behind us. We have used or plan soon to use all of that money in very a judicious manner. Currently, we owe no one (have no debt) other than our house. I'm paying down that a bit this week and "re-casting" the loan on our house. This simply means that they will take the new - lower amount we owe on the house and refigure the payment structure with the same repayment period and same rate - to come up with a new and lower monthly payment.

We really like this house and have had mixed feelings about putting it on the market. It's not selling right now anyway, so we're just going to enjoy living here while we do and then move on to the next "chapter" in our life (whatever that is) when it does sell.

Here's a photo taken from our pool area. Everything is very vibrant and green back here -especially in the evenings.

No comments: