Sunday, June 24, 2007

Still (and even more) a believer


I've been watching with GREAT interest - the upcoming release of the iPhone from Apple. It's no secret to anyone who knows me that I'm an Apple evangelist. I believe completely in the company's philosophy on how things work. It's like I tell my P.C. friends: A Mac user LOVES his computer. A P.C. user Tolerates his computer. That difference alone should speak volumes to anyone who is paying attention.

So as the release of the iPhone (which was announced back in January) has gotten closer, I've read quite a bit of opinion by 'naysayers' of how it won't be successful. I guess it's just the job of people to write and many people just don't like the fact that Apple is so successful lately (last 5 years).

One of the things I read (and hear) to support the opinion that the iPhone will be a commercial failure is it's price. $499 or $599 depending on the amount of memory you get. One thing that these naysayers have either forgotten or simply chosen not to remember is the Motorola Razr which came out around 2 years ago. It was $499 as well and it went on to be the best selling model of mobile phones in the world AND it was little more than a phone - and to be honest - a pretty crappy phone at that. It was mostly stylish - which itself was enough to make people select it over other options. I possessed one of these Razr's for a day - when my own phone crapped out and I had to get a loaner - and it had about the worst possible audio imaginable.

Then, I read in todays paper - an article which again pointed out how expensive the iPhone is and then went on to tell about the competition entering the market against the iPhone - so called "iPhone killers". It listed the HTC TOUCH - at $666, the Nokia N95 - at $749, and the LG PRADA at $800. None of these phones do some of the cool stuff that the iPhone does BUT they cost more.

It's funny to read this stuff when I'm so confident that Apple has a commercial success of epic proportions that's about to be released on friday. There are 23 patents on the iPhone. Apple has made it so user friendly - that I think it may be hard for some 'non-mac' users to get used to it at first. The use of this product is going to be such a 'natural' feel - that the workflow will come without thought. If you have a few minutes - check out this video - showing the use of the iPhone. This really does change everything.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/guidedtour.html

Currently, I'm trying really hard to NOT go and buy one when they come out on friday. It's very hard to resist - when it epitomizes exactly what I want in a mobile device EXCEPT one thing. It currently only uses EDGE technology for transmission of data. Edge is a fast data transmission system BUT it's not REALLY fast. I feel like Apple will release a version with 3G technology (REALLY FAST) around Christmas time and I think I'd rather wait for it. There's a couple of other small things that I don't think are optimal in the product (no user replaceable battery) and small stuff like that. Still, Jan has said that if I want to get one now, she'll take it when I want to replace it with a 'higher tech' model. That may just be all the excuse I need to get one sooner than later.

Really, if you wonder what all of this excitement is about - watch the video and THEN if you still wonder - then GOOD for you!! Be glad you don't have the tech- gadget addiction that I have.

No comments: