Sunday, March 04, 2007

1 year home


Today marks the 1 year mark since I returned from living in California CIty for 3 years one winter.

For those not familiar: here it is in a nutshell:

In September of 2005, I moved (without Jan) to the Mojave Desert to build a house with a group of friends - who were also building houses. These were spec. houses to help fill the need for new housing in So. California. I hated living there. I hated being without Jan, but the decision to go there may have saved my life due to a depression I was in at the time I went there.

I worked hard - very hard - building and finishing my house and actually sold it before I finished it. I made good friends while there in Dale, Kent, Mark, Dan and Charlie and I was able to spend more time with one of my best and most loyal friends in life - JB. The group of us all built the same house (in multiples) all paying for our own and creating a 'shared tool' chest of the most expensive - yet least used tools that it would not be feasible to own independent of the group. Things like 'poly forms' for the cement work - which made the job of forming and 'de-forming' go amazingly well. Things like an incredible lazer level which made doing the underground plumbing and leveling the forms go well. Many other tools as well.

Like almost everything I ever do in life - I don't regret doing it. This is one of the things however, that I would not want to do again - in the context that I did it in. California City is a horrible place to live if you've ever been places other than California City and if quality of life (based on where you live) is important to you. There is absolutely nothing to do in this town - especially in the winter (which is when I was there). I was without Jan, so not only did I have no life - I had no life in a place where there's nothing to do. So, I did what made sense - I worked on the house. Nearing the end of my project - I wanted to go home very badly so I worked every waking moments - and even created extra waking moments so I could work.

Anyway, I have fond memories of learning new things - with many (most) of them taught by JB. I also felt like I was a part of something that mattered. I helped design the house - a house that JB, Charlie and Mark are all still there building and selling today. I don't miss it a bit. I would like to see JB again though. I have him to thank for the opportunity.

You can see the whole process here: gwbuilds.blogspot.com

No comments: