Friday, July 20, 2012

A 3 Sport Day

The 'toy box' on the beach today.
While I was in New Hampshire last week, I made a commitment to myself to get more active.   I've noticed a vicious cycle of being fatigued and not getting enough exercise.  The only way to break that cycle is by getting out there!

I got back on the bike this week and have 3 rides under my belt since tuesday and plan to get 2 more in before heading off to Indianapolis on tuesday.   Today I had a nice ride down through Ponce Inlet, around the lighthouse and back to my car up in Port Orange.   

For the first time in a long time, I also got back on the surfboard.   I let other things get in the way of that over the last year and I need to not let that happen any longer.   I'm happiest when I'm out on/in the water.    Today was no different.  The surfing was not good - little 2 foot mushy waves,  but being back out on the board was great.  It's clears your view of things.    

I had a great dolphin encounter while out there - with a pod swimming all around me chasing bait fish.  Most were adults but there was one little baby dolphin.  It almost looked like a toy.    Some teenage boys saw the dolphin swimming around me and started swimming out to where we were.  As they approached, the facial expression on one of them changed and he looked at me and said "Those ARE dolphins aren't they".    It made me laugh out loud.
Not from today - but similar (including the flat water).

I also went to the driving range to hit some golf balls, but I picked a pretty stupid time to do it - around 4:30 in the afternoon - in July - in FLORIDA.    I didn't even finish the bucket of balls because of how much I was sweating.     Still, a good trend was started today - doing fun stuff to stay active.  

Ponce Inlet Lighthouse

No comments: