Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Another 'good one' gone.

From 1986 through 2005, I found myself in a position of losing more friends than any person my age should have to.  Some were really close friends.  Almost all of them died in hang gliding, paragliding or ultralight accidents.  Some, right in front of me.   It's a tough burden to bear.  Nonetheless, I would go through the pain of losing those friends many times over - just to experience the joy of knowing them.

John 'Wiley' Carlton - age 44, (who everyone knew as Wiley) was one of the planet's most talented pilots.  His 'claim' to fame in the hang gliding world was how good of a tug pilot he was.   Wiley flew 'tugs' for many of the flight parks -where you'd be pulled to altitude by an ultralight - instead of running off a mountain.  But Wiley could fly anything and fly it well!

Wiley was killed while crossing the road in Kill Devil Hills yesterday.  Hit by an ice cream truck.    It almost sounds like a joke doesn't it.  Fly every kind of aircraft that people label as crazy - then hit by the proverbial truck while crossing the road.

Wiley had a love for life and living it to the fullest.  I hadn't seen Wiley since I retired from the HG industry, but I'll never forget him.

Rest in peace Wiley.  The whole aviation community will miss you greatly.

Photo stolen from Lauren's FB post.  Thanks Lauren.

No comments: