Thursday, November 30, 2006

Learning New Stuff


Mechanical stuff is not my favorite thing to do. I'm not really BAD at it - I just don't enjoy it so much. My brother - Buddy - on the other hand is a fine mechanic. Guess he got the genes for working on engines and stuff. My dad always really seemed to enjoy changing oil and stuff when I was a kid. It just didn't stick with me.

I've spent some time the last couple of weeks trying to find a new tire for my motorcycle and it's an odd size that cost a lot of money - PLUS the dealerships want $60 added to the price to change it out for you. The total was approaching $300 for just the back tire.

I finally found a place that discounts the tires and will put them on your rim and balance them for no extra charge. The kicker is that you have to take the wheel off the bike yourself.

I'd never taken the wheel off of a shaft drive bike, so I was a little apprehensive, but the guy at the tire shop convinced me it was much easier than you'd think.

It took me about an hour and a half to get it off - but I made a number of mistakes along the way. I could do it again in about half the time.

It's good to take the mystery out of these things.

No comments: