Thursday, April 05, 2007

Trip Update



Currently (thursday night), I'm sitting in Duffy's Sports Bar eating a Chicken Caesar's salad and catching up on my email. SERENITY is sitting in North Lake Worth anchorage all pretty and happy. This is my 3rd night out on this trip and if you were looking for me on a map, you'd be looking at North Palm Beach to find me. Lake Worth runs the length of Palm beach (north to south) and I'm at the very north tip of Lake Worth. I got here about 4 oclock. I stopped here today because I'm hoping to get out in the ocean tomorrow (weather dependant) and the inlet is about 1 mile south of me.

My first day out was one of those days when a lot of little things go wrong. It started out with me forgetting to take my passport with me and having to go back home. Then as I was backing out of the slip, the steering wheel on the boat wouldn't turn - so I put the boat in forward and went back into the slip. After about 5 minutes of troubleshoooting, I realized that the auto pilot was on for some reason. That was the easiest fix it could have been.

When I got to Cocoa, I had problems getting the new anchor to hold. Turns out the bottom there is muddy and the new anchor is not good for mud - yet, when trying to do this by yourself on a 11 ton boat - it's a bit of a job to do more than once. It involves a lot of running back an forth from the helm to the bow of the boat. After anchoring, I went ashore to meet a buddy of mine who was visiting from Hawaii and I tore one of my favorite shirts on a nail as I got out of the dingy. Then, I realized I forgot the flashlight that I had set out to take with me. Just a bunch of dumb stuff.

Wednesday was a bit better, but I still was bummed after anchoring out for various reasons. Today was much better.

Here's a photo of a Grampian 26 (like Miss Janella) which is anchored out behind me here. This is the 3rd Grampian 26 that I've seen on this trip

No comments: