Friday, September 05, 2008

And speaking of grounded boats....



My uncle- Captain Jerry, is the man who put the sailing bug into me at an early age. Captain Jerry currently keeps his sailboat on a mooring in St. Augustine FL. When TS FAY came through a couple of weeks ago, "Poppie" broke free of her mooring and was driven ashore during the abnormally high tide associated with the storm. I was in Bristol at the time and Jerry called me and asked me to go up and give him the 'low down' on the boat's situation. Jerry lives in Hickory, NC and would be planning on heading down to take care of the grounded boat in the following week.

When I got home, Jan and I went up to St. Augustine to check out the status of 'Poppie'. Driving along the waterfront just south of the marina, it wasn't hard to spot the tall mast - at an angle - and closer to houses than a mast of that sort should be. As we pulled into the driveway of the house where the boat was currently aground, the caretaker of the house was out on the dock looking at the 36 foot Freeport.

I got out of the car and introduced myself and he was very glad to see me. He'd not heard anything from anyone and was wondering when the boat would be addressed. It turned out that Ted was a super nice guy and I let him know that Jerry would be coming down within a week to take care of it.

UPDATE: I spoke to Jerry yesterday and they had to get a barge crane in there to get the boat out. It's currently tied up at a dock while the insurance adjuster starts his process of figuring the damage.

No comments: