Saturday, September 06, 2008

My latest hobby

About a month ago, Jan and I decided to start riding bikes for excersize. I've half heartedly been trying to lose weight over the last year and a half.

In January of 2007, I began running on a semi-regular basis. I'm a creature of habit so when I travel (which I do a lot) I don't always get my runs in like I'd want. I've run over 400 miles in the last 20 months, but that's not really as much as it might sound like.

So, a month ago, I added biking to my workouts. I enjoy biking more than running and so it takes a little of the pressure off of running so much. Still, I try to get 3-5 runs in a week if possible.

The bike I'm riding is a Trek Hybrid bike which has you seated upright like a mountain bike, but has wheels, tires and other components that are more like a road bike. While basically more comfortable than a road bike, it certainly shaves a couple of miles per hour off of your speed to be upright.

In general, I started out with some easy 10-12 mile rides, but within the first week, I'd put in my first 30 miler by having Jan drop me off 30 miles from home - while she was on her way to work. The following week I did a 50 miler from her work place to home.

Of course, I can't take the bike with me when I travel, so with my being gone sometimes as much as 2 weeks at a time, it cuts into my planned training schedule. I have a desire (and very soft goal) of riding from Fernandino Beach (at the north end of FL) to Key West along the coast road. I'd like to accomplish that over the winter if it's achievable for me in that short of a time period - we'll just have to see. It's 500 + miles. Maybe I could do it in stages.

On thursday, Jan did a 20 miler with me - I was really proud of her. She doesn't have as many daylight hours available to her as I do - but she's giving it a good try.

Today I did a 32+ miler starting up in Ormond Beach and riding the 'Loop" up to Flagler Beach and back. The photos are from today's ride.

Below is a map of the ride:

No comments: