Saturday, September 20, 2008

More From Dover


Dover International Speedway is known as the Monster Mile. All the tracks have their own nicknames and Dover's is based on it being a 'concrete monster' with the track being cement instead of asphalt. This photo is of the 'monster'. It's a pretty cool sculpture at the main entrance to the track. The car in it's hand is full size.


The weather here is nearly perfect. Beautiful blue skies and cool temperatures make it hard to imagine a better day - and still at work. If I had to pick my perfect weather to live in all the time - it would be hotter than this, but coming here from Florida where it was hitting upper 80's daily - it's a welcome change.

I'm fortunate to have the good job that I do at this point in my life. I was self employed for long enough that right now - at this juncture, I'm really enjoying the ability to do my job and then leave it behind me when I'm not working. Being self employed is a lot like having a boat in the water all the time - you just never stop worrying about it. I feel certain that I'll be self employed again - it's the only way to really build wealth - but next time - I'll pick an industry based on the ability to really make a lot of money. The hang gliding business was a lot of fun for the first 2/3 of the time I was in it - but I really burnt out during the last few years. Answering the same questions over and over and over and over got so old and I wasn't cut out to be in that position.

Rob Kells of Wills Wing (who died last month) and Bruce Weaver of Kitty Hawk Kites are my 2 heroes when it comes to being able to answer the same questions repetitively with a smile on their face. I don't know how they do it and I've often told Bruce so.

So currently, I'll continue doing this job until either my next idea comes along for another business, an offer comes along I can't refuse or until I get tired of the traveling. I really miss Jan when I'm on the road and I'm sure that at some point we'll decide that we've had enough of being apart this much and I'll either shorten my travel schedule or find something else to do. Jan's a real trooper at this so far. I'm very lucky to be married to her.

No comments: