Thursday, January 11, 2007

Moving Forward


This last week has been the worst of our lives. It will forever change the way I look at someone who has just lost their pet.

We're doing okay and moving forward. We talk about Snowy a lot - almost all in a good way. We're trying to not be sad more than necessary - but sometimes it just HITS you hard. Everything from the normal habits of walking in the house and calling her name to my our nightly ritual (one of them) of me saying "you ready to go to bed snowy?" and her moving to the same spot on the couch waiting for me to pick her up and carry her. We would then rub foreheads all the way to the bedroom.

Jan is really missing Snowy sitting on her shoulder. She didn't actually SIT on her shoulder, but she would crawl up in Jan's lap and then climb up and put both front paws on her shoulder and rub her head agains Jan's while she purred loudly and spoke softly. Jan says she can feel her there sometimes.

Still, it's time to look forward.

If this all seems silly to you - then I'm very happy that you've never experienced it. With great love comes great sorrow. Everyone who knew Snowy knew that she was a special cat.

I'm going to make a little memorial page for Snowy with pictures of her and I'll link to it on the right side of the page - under the link to my calendar. This should be my last "Snowy" post in the context of the blog.

Jan wrote this for Snowy on Monday and she said I could put it on the blog:




Favorite Things

Sleeping in the sun
Sitting on my shoulder
Biting my freshly shampooed head
Laying beside me
These were your favorite things.

Sleeping on your daddy’s hand
Eating tuna from a can, asparagus too
Laying on the lounger by the pool
Lying by your daddy’s desk while he worked
These were your favorite things.

Hearing your sweet meow
Resting my head on you while you purred
You sitting on my shoulder
Your unconditional love
These were my favorite things.

Resting your head against mine
Burying my nose into your fur
Watching you sleep
Being my shadow, best friend and sweet baby
These were my favorite things.

I will miss you.

1 comment:

Ben said...

GW... Jan....

So sorry to read of your loss.
I can hardly imagine how hard it has been.
My heart is with you.

Ben