Thursday, January 04, 2007

Snowy Update

Thursday - early evening.

Snowy has improved slightly over today and we just can't make ourselves put her to sleep while she's in an improvement mode. She's still not well - she can't walk too far and she's not eating. I went and picked up some high calorie paste from the vet today and I'm making her eat it. She's not happy about that. He says that if we can get her strength back up - then possibly she could possibly fight off the infection/cancer or whatever has elevated her white cell count so high. We're also giving her anti-biotics.

We're not deluding ourselves though, we know that most likely her time is near - but we want to give her every chance to recover.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi GW & Jan:
It's hard to type through the tears streaming down my face. I remember Snowy fondly because she looks so much like my Aspen - who I had to put to sleep after 17 years. I feel your suffering and can relate absolutely to your indecision. I'm glad you chose to give her another day. If you didn't, you'd always wonder "what if." I remember that there was a point when all my indecision came to an end and I KNEW it was the right time to put her to sleep. The vet came to my house and I held her as she went away - he assured me it was painless and I believe that was the truth. In the end I knew she had been in pain for a long time, which made it easier to accept the ultimate decision.

We love out pets so much - they really are a part of our family. Aspen used to jump up on my bed every night, cuddle up to me and roll over on her back with her butt toward me so I could fall asleep rubbing her belly. For a long time after she was gone, I still heard her footsteps each night - pad, pad, pad - as if she was still with me and about to jump up on the bed. I think her spirit hung around to reassure me she was OK - and that I would be OK too. My thoughts are with you during this very difficult time.
Barbara