
Serenity has been sitting in Settlement Harbour - on Great Guana Cay- now for 3 nights and soon to be 4. When Jan and I got here, we went over to the most popular place on this little island - Nippers. Nippers is a great place to hang out. It's situated on a high dune overlooking the ocean. It has 2 pools and a great bar with cool music - the whole package. Then, we went over to Grabbers - which is located on Fishers Bay (both about the same distance from the boat - 300 yards or so). We fell in love with Grabbers and have since felt like locals there. We've been back to Nippers a few times (there's not much else to do on this island other than hang out on a pristine beach) - but we keep finding ourselves going back over to Grabbers where they know us by name just make us feel like we're one of the locals.
We met the owner - who happens to be from Daytona Beach. He was on the flight over here with us, and happens to have been on tonight's flight back with Jan. He's a really nice guy named Dennis.
The manager (Jimmy) and his wife are also super friendly as well as the whole wait and bartending staff. We had planned on only hanging out here for 2 days, but as I said early in the post - tonight will be the 4th night.
Jan caught the ferry to Marsh Harbour this afternoon and (as I write this at 7pm) is on a plane back home. She'll be at work tomorrow. I'm waiting out the weather - a rage is on right now. A rage is where the winds and sea state make a passage through Whale Cay Channel - just north of me - too treacherous to attempt. As the wind comes around more from the southerly quadrant (starting tomorrow sometime), the channel will be passable again. When it is, I'll move northerly through the channel and onto Green Turtle Cay. From there, I'll keep an eye on weather and try to time my passage across the Little Bahama Bank so that I can cross over to Ft. Pierce when the next crossing window is available.
I'm going to do the passage single-handed. This doesn't make Jan happy, but I'll be careful and pick a really good weather window.
I'm going to take a shower and head back over to Grabbers -where they have a Vonage account and let you call back to the U.S. for free. I'll check in with Jan and then call it a night.

No comments:
Post a Comment