Monday, March 03, 2008

The circus is in town

What?  They don't drive yellow lamborghinis on your beach?

It's bike week again.  The first time I experienced it I thought it was kinda cool but drawn out.  Now, it's just a noisy week full of people who clog the roads.  All the displays are basically the same thing over and over.  Still, being a biker (?) I will probably ride up to Destination Daytona and browse all the stuff.   I'll try to do it in a way that doesn't clog the road.
Yesterday, after buying some things I need to take back to the boat, I was driving down the beach road and noticed all the parasailers back up in the air - after the winter off.   I'd been in contact by email with Daytona Parasailing about a job as a captain during my 'off' weeks during the racing season.     I'm supposed to call them for an interview, so I decided to just drive down the beach and see if the guy was at his booth on the beach.
When I stopped at his booth (E Z UP tent on the beach), he was away working on a boat (fairly common I think).   While I was standing there talking to one of the workers, a bannerplane flew by about as low as I've ever seen one.  The banner was no more than 25 feet above the waves - just barely off the beach.  Not something you see everyday (well, unless you work on the beach). Maybe that will become normal for me.


There were a LOT of guys on 1500cc+ motorcycles cruising up and down the beach wearing cowboy boots.  It was kinda funny to watch.  Every now and then one would hit a patch of loose sand hand almost lose it.

No comments: