Friday, December 08, 2006

The Grampian Aground


I drove by the Port Orange Causeway this evening and saw the Grampian (the boat I sold last fall) sitting abeam the wind and moving like she was aground.

I turned around and came back for a closer look and for sure, she was aground and with the strong NE wind - she was listing over to leeward during the gusts.


I remembered the last time I'd looked at her in the marina, I noticed that he didn't use any chafing protection on the docklines. From my vantage point, I couldn't see any mooring line hanging from the bow, so my guess was that he's put her out to anchor with out any chafe protection. Then, this nasty blow we're having right now came along and the boat simply sawed through the mooring line.

It took a while, but I found the house of the guy I had sold her to and let him know she was aground. I asked him if he's used any chafing protection and he said he had it in his car - and was going to put it on during his next trip out.

She shouldn't have any real damage of any sort as long as he can get her pulled out while the tide is up. Luckily, he has towing insurance.

No comments: