Friday, December 29, 2006

Head Refit

I've been thinking about the toilet situation on Serenity for a while and decided to change the configuration completely. If there's anything that can REALLY ruin a cruise - it's a faulty septic system. Currently, the head pumps through a T at the 'thu-hull' fitting. If the fitting is open, then it pumps overboard. If it's closed - then it pumps into a holding tank. Once it's in the holding tank, it can only be removed by having it pumped out (through a deck fitting) by a 'head pumping system'. This means that if it's full - you HAVE to go into shore and find a pumping station.

It's against the law to pump out into the ocean within 3 miles of land - and understandably so. So, I decided to put the best system in that I felt was monetarily justified.

Here's a photo of the current system


So, yesterday, I tore out the entire system (except the tank vent hose). I'm REALLY glad I did. It had not been maintained properly and was just begging for a failure in the near future. The inside of the 1 1/2 inch hoses were lined with calcium deposits (this happens naturally from our urine) to where the unrestricted area for flow was around 1/2 inch!!. That wasn't going to be working for long in normal daily use!!

Here's a photo of the restricted hose


To maintain it properly, while in normal use, you should flush warm vinegar into the system about once a week. Vinegar breaks down the calcium deposits and keeps the hose cleaner. It's smart to put some vegetable oil in the mix as well to lubricate the pumping system. (This is lovingly known as putting the salad dressing in the head).

So, I've decided to make a system that will allow for immediate pumping overboard (for when we're in legal waters to do so) or pump to the holding tank. THEN, I'll be able to pump electrically through a macerator pump (which grinds everything to 1/8 inch or less) overboard (when legal) - OR - pump through the deck when at port. I think this is the best of both systems.

Right now, all my expensive bronze fittings - which were clogged with calcium- have been soaking in white vinegar overnight to help dissolve the calcium. I'll clean those and reuse them.


This photo shows the area where the sanitation system is. The bank or drawers on the left was taken out to access the hose system and the left bank of drawers under the bed was taken out to access the tank.

No comments: